UNREEL – A Documentary Festival like you never seen it
We are organizing a film/documentary (mini)Festival on Social and Development issues. In keeping with our vision for Active Global Citizenship, and in the spirit of free and open knowledge sharing, the event will be in the format of an unconference.
The entire event will be in the format of an unconference. That is, the event will be participant-driven. The audience will get to choose the film they are going to watch, and what to do after they watch the film, watch another one, discuss the film, etc.
We have prepared a list of 20+ documentaries/short films to choose from on issues related to the environment, peace, conflict, poverty, gender, etc. You can bring your own documentaries or suggest documentaries/short films we can have available at the event.
The details about the event are as follows,
Date : Saturday 03 May 2008
Time : 9.30 a.m. – 3.30 p.m.
Venue : British Council Hall, 49 Alfred House Gardens, Colombo 03
The event is especially catered for young people, but we welcome those who can relate to youthful points of view.
For Free registrations please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Sean on 0776424884 with yourname, age and Contact details before the 1st of May 2008. You may also register online at http://bb.wufoo.com/forms/unreel/
How it works:
- The Registrations will start at 9.15 am on the 03rd of May at the British Council Hall in Colombo
- The event will kick off at 09.30 am
- There will be a small introduction to the concept, and the participants will get to introduce themselves.
- Once we are ready to begin, a list of documentaries sorted under different topics will be put on the screen.
- The participants will choose ( by consensus, poll, or whatever) which film/documentary to watch.
- After watching the film/documentary the participants will decide whether or not to discuss it, and in which format to run the discussions ( a debate, a group-discussions, etc.)
- The whole event can last till 3.30 and it will be entirely free-format the whole time. If you feel like you want sing in the middle of it, feel free to do so.
How can you get involved :
- Register for the event.
- Email us the documentaries you’d like to see.
- Tell your friends about this (event posters are here and here)
- Bring your own documentaries.
- Come and participate!
Unconferences usually work on the following premises :
- Whoever comes are the right people
- Whatever happens is the only thing that could have
- Whenever it starts is the right time
- When it’s over, it’s over
- It’s never really over.
That’s about it, if you have any comments, suggestions or ideas drop us an email to slbeyondborders [at]gmail.com or leave behind a comment on this post. Watch this page for updates
Posted on 04/25/2008, in Events-Activities-Announcements, Media, Sri Lanka, Youth-Culture-Society and tagged documentary, Film Festival, Sri Lanka, Unconference, Youth. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.